Thursday, June 16, 2005

Roma (Part 2)

Sorry this has been a long time coming, there was no internet in Cinque Terre, but now that I´m at my good friend Albert´s house in Barcelona I can finally fill you in one the past few days. On monday we spent our last day in Roma. We slept in a little and woke up with a puddle forming in our room. Our room sits just barely below the bathroom, which has shower doors that don´t close very well, a combination that led to our roomates´ stuff getting soaked (ours was just out of reach of the puddle). We headed off to the Vatican museum. We waited through a huge line and finally got inside to buy the tickets which we purchased at a second story ticket window. I reached into my bag to pull out my baguette so I could find the coins I had put in there. A coin somehow came out with the bag, fell to the ground, bounced directly through the one inch gap between the floor and the railing glass and landed on an Italian woman´s head who was accompanying her wheelchair bound husband. I didn´t know what happened to the coin until I heard the guy behind us say "your coin just fell and hit that lady!" I am convinced that fate was somehow working against me in that line. I felt bad for the lady, it looked like it hurt, and I really was at a loss of what to feel/do, so after looking behind me to make sure that no police officer was racing up the stairs after me, I quickly made it through the ticket line with Greg.





We saw lots of beautiful art, which told a lot of history. Saint Sebastian seemed to be a favorite subject, he was always the man with arrows sticking in him (he was a martyr). There were also some really cool paintings of the assumption and the coronation of Our Lady. We wandered for hours in the museum with signs at every corner saying "Sistine Chapel ->" and only after passing through a "modern art" section we finally arrived at the famous Chapel. It was amazing, it probably would have been more amazing if the guards weren´t constantly yelling "no foto" and "silencio", but it was awesome nonetheless. After the Sistine chapel, we went back to the hostel dropped off some gaterade Greg had bought on the way to the Vatican (it was weighing him down) and headed off to see the coliseum again.



We walked by the one island in Roma, then we split a kilo of pizza (benissimo). We then went to the park at the top of the spanish steps hoping to get a good picture of roma at sunset. The sun was too high when we got there so we walked around the park and noticed that thera lotre alot of movie equipment. We followed the line of trucks and found a movie set with camera crew, actors, and director at a beautiful cafe/villa.



We watched them film a scene and then found out the name of the movie (orgoglio 3, I looked it up and orgoglio means pride). We went back to the edge of the park with the view of the city and discovered that the sun doesn´t really set over the city, and the pictures didn´t really turn out all that great, so we did what we did every other night in roma, we went back to the Trevi Fountain. We hung around the fountain for a while and then headed back to the hostel. On the way back we came across Becca and Jean again (with some new guy Nat).



We got a quick picture and told them about our travels since we had seen them last and then we ended up back at the hostel for bed. The next morning we woke up with another even bigger puddle in our room getting our (new) roomates´ stuff soaked and then caught a train to Cinque Terre.

No comments: